Tuesday 24 February 2015

NCT

When I was pregnant, my husband and I put a lot of thought into whether we should do some NCT classes. Everyone we spoke to who had done them enthused about how great they are, particularly as a way of meeting other first time parents. A little apprehensive about the cost we decided to sign up and we are now so glad we did. Here are five things I love about NCT:

1) The classes were helpful. For most of my pregnancy, I tried to block out all thoughts of labour and forget what was coming. The classes really helped me to prepare by explaining the stages and different types of pain relief on offer. Furthermore, without our instructor's warning not to get in the car if you were getting the urge to push during labour, Little Miss might have been born on the motorway…

2) Having a baby can be very isolating. The lovely ladies in my NCT group have a group message going on WhatsApp, in which we keep in contact daily, and we meet up for coffee/baby classes really frequently.

3) As a first time parent, you will have so many questions, queries and irrational fears. It's nice to know people who have had babies recently who you can ask for advice - chances are at least one of the other babies will be doing the same strange/concerning thing as yours, which is really reassuring.

4) I have learnt so much from the other mums: great products to buy, foods to try and places to go.

5) Little Miss has learnt a lot too. It's amazing to see the progress she makes after an afternoon with the other babies. 


To be honest, reasons 1-4 also apply to any friends you have who are having babies at the same time. I am the first of my friends to have children, so NCT was a great way for me to meet other people becoming first time mums. Joining NCT was one of the best decisions we made when we were expecting and I would really recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment